Valerie Ellery, author of the bestselling Creating Strategic Readers, teams up with secondary educator Jennifer Rosenboom to help you sustain, motivate, and engage older learners. Here you’ll find a curriculum, assessment, and instruction framework focused on aligning literacy and content learning for middle and high school students.
Organized to make planning and teaching both easy and effective, the chapters offer:
- Highly effective strategies and techniques for teaching word study, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension skills
- Embedded strategy assessments to check for understanding and collect evidence of student learning
- Teacher talk to help students think strategically
- Ideas to engage and motivate adolescent learners
- Vignettes to help you envision what a technique might look like when used in your content area
- Key terms and guiding questions to focus your reading, study, and conversation